Cj's Knitting Basket

A blog for my knitting progress and other life events.

Name:
Location: Silicon Valley, California, United States

Sunday, July 02, 2006

Dyeing foo boo...and Patriotic Times

Last Friday, I decided to try my hand at dyeing.
I painted my yarn yellow gold and royal blue.

I was just so confident that the colors would stay true when I immersed it into the vinegar mix in the crockpot.

I cooked it for a while...

...the water turned clear as expected.

Yes, indeed. I've confirmed that yellow and blue make green. (Remember that commercial?) It isn't so bad for my first attempt, I think. There is some slight variegation. It's a really deep forest green, with some yellowish highlights.

Christina and I will be attempting to dye more yarn tomorrow.

To cheer myself up, I bought some fabric.

The fabric originally intended for the KSKS swap kit was not quite the thickness I'd like for my pal's bag, so I think I'll use the ones on the left above.

I came up with my own pattern for my pal's bag. I decided to test it out with the fabric on the right (above) and this was the result of two 4 hour sewing marathons between Friday night and Saturday morning.


It's got enough room for a pair of socks, wallet, cell phone, and other necessities, plus a pocket for a sock portfolio.


Here's the kit portfolio on the outside and here's what the portfolio holds.


The coverplate to the burners on our grill disintegrated, so it was time to buy a new one (pictured on the left).

DH is quite impressed with it so far.

Patriotic Socks

Started: 6/25/06
Finished: 7/2/06
Yarn: Fortissima Colori/Socka Color
Color / Lot: 1776 346033
Amount Used: 1 ball
Needles: 1 Inox circulars
Notes: Simple cuff down stockinette stitch. 64 stitches cast-on for each sock. I forgot how quickly simple socks can be made up.

Have a Happy Fourth of July!

6 Comments:

Blogger Melissa said...

Gasp! That bag you made is terrific! I absolutely LOVE it! Nice work!

7/03/2006 9:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

CJ..the bag is awesome! I especially love the fabrics. Great choices!

7/04/2006 3:40 AM  
Blogger EvaLux said...

Oh my... that bag's gorgeous!!!! Even though the fabrics would normally have me running away screaming I just love love love the look of the bag!!! I hope that you'll make the pattern available to us after you've sent off your package LOL.

Cheers Eva

7/10/2006 8:53 AM  
Blogger Casa Pearl said...

CJ, I would love to know where you got your pink and brown fabrics - I need them! LOL

7/11/2006 7:17 AM  
Blogger Sherry W said...

If your going to handpaint, you shouldn't submerge it in water. That's another technique to get a soild color.

With handpaints, either steam it while it's still wrapped up in plastic, or microwave it wrapped in plastic 2 minutes, rest 2 minutes, then nuke it another 2. You add the vingar to the dye you paint with.

7/11/2006 7:28 AM  
Blogger kitkatknit said...

Where oh where did you get that fantastic fabric, both of them???? The brown and the pink etc??? I love the bag.

Did you write up a pattern for the bag you made or did you find it somewhere? You did a fantastic job!

7/11/2006 9:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home