Cj's Knitting Basket

A blog for my knitting progress and other life events.

Name:
Location: Silicon Valley, California, United States

Monday, January 09, 2006

First Finished Objects of 2006

I finished the Flower Basket Shawl on Friday, while having a fabulous time knitting at CommuKnity. Erin, Emy, and Paula were great support as I ran out of yarn at the end and tinked back several times before binding off. Here it is in all its glory. Even Bear admired it.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Project Stats
Yarn: Koigu Kersti / 4 hanks / 2-K121_10v, 1-K801_26v, 1-K117_47v
Needles: Denise #10s / 40 inch cable
Pattern: Flower Basket Shawl - Fiber Trends
Notes: Started 12/25/05 and finished 1/6/06. Unblocked, it was 18.5 inches deep and 32 inches wide. Blocked, it is 32 inches deep and 60 inches wide. BTW, that's the sweater being blocked in the bottom left corner too. It hasn't dried yet. There were 8 pattern repeats before the edging started. I modified the edging and omitted the final rows of the last chart (Rows 11 and 12). I ran out of yarn 1/3 of the way across Row 12. I had to tink back painfully. After talking and thinking it over, I bound-off at Row 11. I had about 2 yards left after binding off with Paula's size 13. I like to live dangerously. Here's a close-up of the edging. I don't think omitting the last chart row really made a large impact on the design. I love this shawl!
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

My first socks of the year!
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Project Stats
Yarn: Trekking XXL / 2.4 oz / Color 105
Needles: Inox #1s - Magic loop
Pattern: Stansfield #10 from Sensational Knitted Socks
Notes: Started 12/22/05, finished 1/7/06. These were my first cuff-to-toe heel flap socks ever. I think I like making them this way, even if I'm required to kitchener the toe.

I jumped on the Jaywalker bandwagon and started these on Saturday.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
It's Purple Midnight (Claudia's Handpainted) from my DH. The colors show up nicely in this pattern. I may have to modify the foot, since 76 stitches is too wide, although the leg is fitting just fine right now. I'm thinking of doing ribbing for the sole or making more decreases at the gusset. It's funny how the purl side reminds me of a flower.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I found out recently that Jordana Paige is discontinuing the black Knitter's Purse. Lucky for me, my DH bought me one for Christmas. The Knitter's Satchel is so awsome in that purple!

WishBone was hilarious on Saturday. He's started doing this impression of Snoopy by posing on one of the doghouses in the backyard.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Tomorrow, I'm teaching few people at work how to knit backwards. I made a swatch out of LB Jiffy on size 13s that was 12 stitches wide and 36 rows. If you can imagine, it's 12 rows stockinette, 12 rows reverse stockinette, and 12 rows of stockinette. While fiddling with the swatch to check my tension, I noticed it could be tied and molded into a familiar shape. Bear loves it, as you can see.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Of course, he only gets to play with it under strict supervision. I swear that dog is part cat with the way he bats that thing around. The toy can be thrown in the washer and dryer too. I can put a pattern up if anyone is interested.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Last, but not least, I received my swap package from Jill in Hawaii. She sent me an orange chibi, the Socks on 2 circs book, Handpainted laceweight yarn in Brown Berries, some yummy lotion, and a cute notepad. Thanks for swapping with me Jill!

8 Comments:

Blogger Christie said...

Your puppies are so cute!
Everything looks awesome, congrats on completing it!

1/09/2006 9:54 PM  
Blogger Black Purl said...

CJ! The shawl is even more beautiful than when I saw it in the show. You did an amazing job!

1/09/2006 11:34 PM  
Blogger Black Purl said...

Hahaha! Shop. I meant shop, not show. Derp!

1/09/2006 11:35 PM  
Blogger Pumpkinmama said...

Gorgeous! What a beautiful shawl. Loving the socks as well. Great job.

1/10/2006 5:40 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Wow! You are so productive! The shawl yarn is so pretty. The color variation looks really nice. Nice socks too!

I like the dog pictures. That's really cute how Bear's head is tilted in the shawl photo, and how Wishbone is sitting on the roof of the dog house. How cute and funny!

1/10/2006 9:54 AM  
Blogger Jillio said...

i concur! the productivity level here is immense!
that shawl looks fantastic. it's on my list of things to do, especially since the pattern is free...
your socks are so fun! love the color and the pattern :)
and don't some patterns look just awesome on the purl side when you work with handpainted yarn? mmm...claudia handpainted *drool* good stuff.
your doggies are adorable! it would've been so funny if the doggie was lying down on the doghouse like snoopy, too.
thanks again for swapping with me :)

1/11/2006 1:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

FBS is just beautiful. Congrats! Love the new stash too...lucky ; )

1/16/2006 4:28 AM  
Blogger Jillio said...

sorry for the late comment, but i'm glad you like the lotion! i went around smelling all different kinds...i was trying to find something that didn't smell like you could get it anywhere else, if that makes sense (scents...hahah! okay, so i laugh at my own jokes). i know bath and body works does some of the plumeria and mango scents...

1/19/2006 12:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home