Cj's Knitting Basket

A blog for my knitting progress and other life events.

Name:
Location: Silicon Valley, California, United States

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Fiber Overdose

I *was* planning on posting Monday, after spending a relaxing afternoon knitting at my favorite store, but that evening had me feeling a little icky. I had to rest, because we're going on a mini trip to Maui soon. Can't be sick during my first trip to Hawaii. I think it's the hangover from the wonderful weekend I had.

I ran into a ton of people while shopping at the Stitches Market.
-Kristi and Cookie- I hope I didn't gush too much!
-Paula and her friend Stacy are fabulous shoppers.
-The ever-adorable staff of Commuknity (Nathania, Erin, Emy, Juanita, Chloe, y'all know the usual suspects ;-) )
-Sheetal says I forced her into buying that red yarn. I claim the 5th...
-Kris, Miyon and Marisa, in a flyby on Saturday. Hubby had only given me an hour before he'd start pestering me to get home for lunch and other non-fibery shopping.
-A few blogless ladies: Kathy in San Jose, Amy, and Chris.
Sorry if I'd forgotten anyone...but it was a whirlwind weekend.

I was trying really hard to pace myself, as Paula and Stacy could testify, but plans changed due to some rude shoppers. And now, onto the weekend, in semi-chronological order.

Friday
The first booth I hit was Blue Moon Fiber Arts for Socks that Rock. The booth was well picked over by the time I got there. I did manage to find Marbles and Blarney Stone in mediumweight. They'd run out of lightweight by the time I got there at 2pm.
Image hosting by Photobucket
This woman came up to me while I was holding those two skeins, and asked me if I was going to buy them. I said yes. She said, "It doesn't look like you're going to buy them." I think it's because I was holding them side by side and just plain enjoying the colorways. Would I be holding them and *standing* in line if I weren't going to buy them? Jeesh.

At Habu Textiles, I purchased 8 Cones of a really thin cotton/linen blend which I'll use double stranded for a Dayflower Daydream shawl. Paula and Stacy lost me at this point, since I wandered over to Interlacments' booth.
Image hosting by Photobucket

I was leisurely browsing the Rick Rack Rayon when another woman came up to me to ask me if I was going to buy what I was holding. I said yes, and turned my back on her. At that point, I was tired of being harassed and decided to go ahead and make the majority of my purchases that day. I bought some Rick Rack II, Carbon Monoxide (Color 102).
Image hosting by Photobucket

At Brook's farm, the 4 play and Harmony kept calling my name...along with the Primero(which I ended up buying on Saturday anyway).
Image hosting by Photobucket

Swallow Hill Creations was my next stop. After seeing Sheetal's and Kris' scarves, I just had to make some of my own. I bought their scarf pattern booklet, silver rayon with AB finished clear beads, and black rayon with hematite finish black beads. I figured out the source of the bead threaders.
Image hosting by Photobucket

I bought the pattern for Charlotte's web and I also ordered a bag at KnitKits for a decent discount. The vendor did not want to give me the one on display, but allowed me to order it and said they would ship it to me for free.

Saturday
I had my eyes on a Jumbo winder, the day before, but had to sleep on the decision.
Image hosting by Photobucket

Here it is, on my winding station at home. =) The guy from Oregon woodworks remembered me from my purchase of a swift last year. At Carolina homespun, I bought the new digital counter that'll store three separate counts simultaneously as well as some Crystal Palace bamboo circs in 1 and 2 for travel sock knitting. I ran into Miyon, Kris, and Marisa, before I headed home to meet with the DH for lunch (on his orders ;-) ).

That afternoon, I ran into Sheetal while in Tess' booth, and we fondled the lovely Cascade silk. I swear, I'm innocent of that red yarn incident that Sheetal is accusing me of. ;-) Of course, I had to stop by the Commuknity booth and buy some Claudia handpainted, as well as the Bolaji kit in a pink colorway.
Image hosting by Photobucket

Sheetal and I ran into Marie and Sonja, then we waited for about 1/2 an hour, while the others came along for the dinner-along. We're sorry we missed you Shar!

As always, conversation with other knitters and bloggers is enlightening and seriously delightful. Food was great, service was average, but the desserts were cute. I brought strawberry and orange mochi to share, in addition to what everyone had ordered.
Image hosting by Photobucket
Image hosting by Photobucket
Image hosting by Photobucket

I think the other attendees have better summaries of the dinner. Marisa, Kris, Miyon, Bill & Spinnity, Jeff, Sheetal, Marie, Sonja were great company during the dinner-along. We missed you JenLa, Delia, and Nancy! I had a lovely time and can't wait to do it again next year.

After dinner, we headed over to Commuknity, where Kris & Miyon claimed two of Jordana's bags for themselves. I was lulled into a food coma, about 1 hour into the evening. I loved how everyone felt at home at Commuknity. The conversations were entertaining, to say the least. We'll infect you soon enough with the sock bug, Marisa.

Nathania and Sheetal are striving for gold medals with their Olympic Knitting.
Image hosting by Photobucket

Sunday I ran into Paula once again, and shopped a bit with Erin.
I felt like I was stalking the vendors at Knit Kits, having brought Erin and Paula by the "bag." The ladies at the booth were nice to offer it to me after the market closed, so I wouldn't have to wait for it to ship. I waited patiently until the close of the market. I just love it!
Image hosting by Photobucket

Monday, I started and finished a Bolaji hat, a pattern by Chloe.
Image hosting by Photobucket

I wound up another skein for the Kimono shawl. 400 yards so far has yielded about 20 inches on size 6 needles.
Image hosting by Photobucket

I totally lost it when the fiber filled weekend started and had to cast on for something new. I'm using the bubblegum yarn I bought a while back.
Image hosting by Photobucket
Yesterday, I sewed in the zipper for the sweater.
Image hosting by Photobucket
Image hosting by Photobucket
Image hosting by Photobucket
Project Stats
Yarn: Cascade 220/ Color 9324/ About 5 1/2 skeins
Needles: #8 Denise Circulars
Pattern: Kepler and Samus Hybrid
Notes: Started 9/12/05 and finished 2/21/06.

Last Thursday, I finished the DH's socks.
Image hosting by Photobucket
Project Stats
Yarn: Trekking XXL/ Color 44/ 1 skein
Needles: #2 Inox circulars
Pattern: Garter Rib from Sensational Knitted Socks
Notes: Started 1/28/06 and finished 2/15/06. Hubby likes these socks. I think it's how the ribbing fits and how the heel is shaped.

I had so much fun and look forward to next year's Stitches!

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Report! Your KepSamusler Hybrid is beautiful!

I have a great time - I just wish I had more time to chat with everyone.

Next year - it'll be hear before we know it.

2/22/2006 10:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so jealous of the jumbo ballwinder! It was great seeing you again, and good job on all of the FOs. :)

2/22/2006 11:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was so great to see you!

I'm going to fight off the socks for as long as I can...

Love the hybrid sweater!

2/22/2006 11:18 AM  
Blogger goodkarma said...

Holy cow, what a post! It sounds like you had an amazing time. Are you gonna buy that? hahaha!!! Love your finished cardi. It looks so fabulously cosy and well fitting at the same time. :)

2/22/2006 11:29 AM  
Blogger Jillio said...

dang dude, i'd be in a fiber induced coma after that!
you're coming to hawaii! yay! maui is nice. you should check out the aquarium :)
omg, i soooo want to go to stitches west next year...i hope it falls on another three day weekend. that would be awesome...!
and jeezzuss, the nerve of those people!? "are you going to buy that?" hah! i would buy it just to spite them, and THEN some! not very good for knitting karma, but seriously!!? git yer own!
i always consider dessert as one of the better parts of dinner :)
you have been crazy busy! i like your projects--esp. the kimono shawl. i've been eyeing that folk shawls book for a while...i may need to pick it up when i finish my kiris.
the beaded thing looks interesting. i've seen kits like that at my LYS, so i'm sure what you make will be beautiful!
this post has me drooling ;)

2/22/2006 12:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Samus/Kepler looks great! Love the photos/recap of Stitches and it was wonderful hanging out with you. Have a great time in Hawaii!

2/22/2006 12:59 PM  
Blogger Emy said...

Whoa, you made out like a bandit! Love the sweater, can't wait to see it in person. And the rude women who harassed you at the BMFA booth...feh. Hate those people. :P

Did I show you the Brooks Farm stuff I bought? I think it's Harmony, but it occurs to me that I was in something of a daze the whole time, and I'm not entirely certain of what the heck I bought. Which is pretty sad.

But it's gorgeous yarn. ;)

2/22/2006 10:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow looks like a fabulous time. Yummy food & new stash! What more could ya want, huh?! Your sweater is just lovely.

3/02/2006 5:45 AM  
Blogger Zarzuela said...

Wow! That's some weekend!! Congrats on the Samus/Kepler... it's beautiful! :)

Jessica

3/03/2006 5:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW!! First time visiting your blog and it 's awesome!! I'm still drooling over all your great yarn and your beautiful projects!

3/07/2006 8:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home