TGIF tomorrow...

She posted about her bead spinner recently, and Sheetal wanted to know how I made mine. I use it to string the beads for the MaryEllas I've made.
I think the materials(1) cost me less than $10 and I found the instructions here, but there are instructions for an even cheaper one. I would like to own a

I made the mistake of using a non-stick cake pan, so the velcro doesn't stick all that well, but the friction is enough to keep it in place as I spin the beads on. I may attach it to the top coaster using screws someday, but for now, it works just fine for me. I spin it using the edge of the top coaster instead of the center of the cake pan. I use a flexible beading needle because it's what I have on hand. I would recommend getting a hook/needle like Marie's that's a bit more stiff and hook shaped. It used to take me about 3-4 hours to string all the beads (not all in one sitting), but now it takes around an hour or so. I'll be starting another MaryElla shortly.
My most recent WIP is Miss Dashwood for my cousin's daugher. I spent some quality knit time at Commuknity last night and Emy showed me how to work the magic loop method. For a very visual person, I just hadn't gotten it until she showed me. The ladies at Commuknity are the best!

I've really gotten the hang of the magic loop that just for kicks, I started another little baby hat using Inox #3's. The flexible cord makes ever the difference. It's an adaptation of the Umbilical Cord hat from SnB. =)

DH and I are taking a trip down to SLO and the LA area soon. I definitely plan on retail therapy while we're traveling. Speaking of therapy. Commuknity satisfies my fiber addiction once again.

I'm planning on making my so-called scarf with the Noro Aurora and another Branching Out with the KSH. The Noro Aurora is just gorgeous! I also bought some yummy yarn (not pictured) for the SP6 pal I'm spoiling.
Notes:
(1) 2 plant "coasters" 10 inches in diameter, 1 lazy susan spinner 6 inches in diameter, 1 mini angel food cake pan 4 1/4 inches in diameter (or any other bowl with straight sides), Velcro (the sticky back type). Everything, with the exception of the cake pan, is from Home Depot. The cake pan is from Michael's.









2 Comments:
Good times! I'll be looking forward to seeing Miss Dashwood's progress. I think that's the sweetest thing. My coworker just found out she's pregnant so I'm mentally filing away all the sweet presents I must make for her.
Where do you find the time for all this knitting? Kepler is looking gorgeous!! And it'll be interesting to see the so called scarf in something other than Manos (i'm making one out of Manos)...
Post a Comment
<< Home