Cj's Knitting Basket

A blog for my knitting progress and other life events.

Name:
Location: Silicon Valley, California, United States

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

RIP WhizBang

Our dear hamster had been having health issues recently. He died last Tuesday.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
January ?, 2004 - December 27, 2005
He was part of a buy two get five free package that a friend had experienced. She thought she had bought two boy Siberian dwarf hamsters. Her boyfriend woke up one day and thought a mouse had invaded the hamster cage. Upon further investigating, he found four others, excluding the parents and the one he'd already seen. WhizBang was a spoiled hamster. We had two cages connected by a tunnel set-up as his habitat. It was a posh crib (for a hamster). I cried. I'm silly. DH and I buried him in our backyard by our pear tree. He'll be missed.

Our roof started leaking after all the rain we received yesterday and our home warranty doesn't cover repairs after the first year of ownership.

Bear's health insurance coverage didn't start until 3 days after his surgery for neutering. This was in spite of the fact that the insurance company had already charged our credit card 2 full weeks before the surgery. They won't reimburse us.

Unexpected unpleasant events are not fun to deal with. I hope these aren't signs that 2006 is going to be a rough year.

All wasn't so bad during Christmas and New Year's though. Knitting-related items kept my spirits up.

My SP6 final package came in the mail. Thanks for spoiling me, Kyla. You are a most generous person.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I received two hanks of Claudia's handpainted and a Jordana Paige bag from my awesome DH. His sister gave me a cool book on ideas for leftover yarn.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

On Christmas day, after watching my mom sing with her caroling group for a worthy charity (I'm so proud of her!), I started on the flower basket shawl in Koigu Kersti. I'm on the last chart, which is the edging. Things with the in-laws went slightly better than last Christmas.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

New Year's Eve, we had a little get together with some friends. Unfortunately, most of the usual suspects didn't attend. Oh well.

New Year's Day, we spent with the DH's extended family having a smorgasbord lunch followed by a Chinese hotpot dinner. To minimize binging, I knit on the Pumpkin Spice Socks.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
I like how the heel flap turned out. I did have to do some creative maneuvering with DPNs to form the heel turn and gussets separately for each sock. I put them back on the single circular after all that crazy fun was over.

Oh, and I've started DDRing on our PS2 again, in lieu of walking. I forgot how addicting that game can be!

Happy New Year to all!

5 Comments:

Blogger CynCyn said...

Sorry to hear about Whizbang... it seems he had a happy life. Have you read Lorispeak? She writes a lot about chinese cuisine (interspersed in her knitting), and your chinese hot pot dinner... i'm so jealous!

Was your FBS already blocked? and what yarn was that in the SP package?

1/03/2006 7:49 PM  
Blogger Sandee said...

Awww! Sorry about Whizbang!

1/03/2006 9:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about Whizbang. :( BTW, why did you never mention you DDR before?? We should DDR together sometime.

1/03/2006 10:09 PM  
Blogger jenifleur said...

Sorry about WhizzBang. When I lost mine, The Muddler, I was working on a shoot in a New Mexico Penitentary and had to bury him there. I cried, too. It's okay to be sad and miss hamsters, they're fun and brighten our days, too.

1/04/2006 9:11 AM  
Blogger Delia said...

I bawled my eyes out when my pet rat (yes, a rat) died in high school. My sympathy is with you and you DH...

Think of all the crap as "getting it out early" so you can enjoy the rest of your year!!

1/04/2006 10:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home