Cj's Knitting Basket

A blog for my knitting progress and other life events.

Name:
Location: Silicon Valley, California, United States

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Knit News, Other News

I'm so tired, but it's the midpoint of the week and I have a long weekend to look forward to. I started this post Sunday night and it had been wallowing since then.

In knit news:
I finished the Ocean scarf, unfortunately it's too short to be a scarf. I've decided to put it in the frog pond. I'm thinking about making up my own pattern for a bucket-type hat for that Colinette tape.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I've made progress into the second ball of bamboo for Clapotis #2.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I've turned the heel on the Opal socks, but it's too short, so I'm thinking about frogging back and extending the foot so they'll actually fit on me.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I've joined 'niter's Marker Mania. I'm looking forward to it!

Random pictures from the camera:
Anyone else see wildlife at work? There was a jack rabbit as large as WishBone hanging around by the break area.

Where's the WhizBang? There he is!

This was too funny!
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Here's what it really says.

In other news:
Last weekend was spent helping my cousin celebrate a proper farewell to her single life. It was supposed to be a surprise. On Friday, we were to arrive at 7:30pm at Off the Hookah, and her fiance was supposed to bring her there around 8pm. Well, best laid plans and all that, they were already there when I arrived. Along with the DH (he was just going to drop me off and leave), I fibbed about having dinner next door at my favorite restaurant Dish Dash. A friend of hers walks in, and the jig was up as more and more of her friends arrived. We basically kidnapped her for the weekend. We had a fantastic time at the Hookah place along with some yummy chocolate raspberry cake, then it was off to 'Frisco. I felt like an old fogie because we didn't leave for the city until 11pm, and it was midnight when we arrived at a club called "Suite One Eight One" which I guess used to be "Polyester." At 2am we drove home, but the bride was starving so we stopped at a Denny's. I've not done that since college. Fries at 3am are just divine after all that dancing. We crashed at 4am, and got up at 8:30am to get ready (only one bathroom at the apartment). We needed to head out early to drive up to Reno.

One of the ladies has generous in-laws who allowed us to stay at their awesome cabin in Donner Pass. The drive was gorgeous, especially since the snow hadn't completely melted yet. We spoiled the bride to a suite of spa treatments in Reno and had a buffet dinner at El Dorado. The dessert aftermath isn't pretty. After dinner, we were pooped and drove back to the cabin and played games until 1am. None of us imbibed much alcohol, but I did try some Tequila Rose and Alize.

Sunday, we got up early, and instead of cooking at the cabin, we moseyed over to Truckee for brunch at Coffee And. There was a wait so a few of us went to a local candy shop (Sweets) to purchase some Tahoe Turtle fudge that one of the ladies raved about. I bought a pillow that says Chocolate isn't a vegetable? and four fudge chunks (Rocky Road, Cookies and Cream, Peanut butter chocolate, and Tahoe Turtle). During brunch, I was holding my delicious (avocado, tomato and jack on wheat) grilled sandwich, ready to take a bite, when I felt something or someone bump the table. Then my chair started moving underneath me. There was no large truck passing by, and no train whistle. I realized no one was bumping anything and we heard exclamations being expressed by other patrons. It was an earthquake! Just as I was about to "duck and cover" (drills from elementary school), it ended.

I didn't recognize it because in the SF bay area, the quakes I've experienced have been more rolling and lateral in motion. The Truckee one was more vertical in nature. Fortunately, nothing was damaged, although the front windows were behind me and a large china case was to my friend's right. It could have been worse than just frayed nerves. I guess quite a few earthquakes happened down in SoCal while I was in China.

One man was seriously idiotic. While one lady was trying to get out of her seat to "duck and cover" another patron ran out the door and in the process shoved her back into our table and knocked the air out of her. The punch line is that he'd left his family (wife and kids) behind at the restaurant. He stood outside the restaurant and the wife had to pay and take the kids out to meet him outside. We were taking bets that he had never been in earthquake country before. The last thing you want to do in an earthquake is panic and act stupid. During the '89 earthquake, my dad stood underneath the chandeliers in the living room once the shaking stopped to watch them swing back and forth. He had not a single thought about aftershocks.

We stopped by the old Truckee Jail where this nice older gentleman told us the history of the jail and I saw these lovely flowers too!

I don't know why I stopped logging my WW progress, but I figured I could start up again this week, but also start tracking my physical activity as well (as little as it is right now, but I'm hoping that I'll ramp up and be much more active by the end of summer). I've been inspired by Kris' weekly "health goals" posts. I just got depressed looking at all those photos of myself from the China trip and this past weekend. I've started my daily walks again.
Monday: 25 min. medium intensity
Tuesday: 1 hr. low intensity
Wednesday: 45 min. medium intensity

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home