Cj's Knitting Basket

A blog for my knitting progress and other life events.

Name:
Location: Silicon Valley, California, United States

Thursday, March 17, 2005

Would you like to swap for some of my handmade stitch markers and enter in a monthly drawing?

Here's the deal. I want to make my blog a little more interactive, similar to the numerous contests/drawings that I've seen out there. I'm lucky enough to have some skills to create stitch markers and would love to start swapping some of them away. I figured this would be easier (I hope it'll be less stressful too?) than dealing with setting prices, figuring out sales taxes, and trying to stay competitive with other much more creative sources for cute stitch markers.

I'd prefer to receive handmade items (show me your creative crafting talent!), but commercially available items are acceptable if you show me a picture of the item or describe in detail what the item is. Here's a categorized list of items that I'm willing to swap for. (My boss says that list-making is a disease. I tend to agree.)

A) For each stitch marker you'd like from me, I'd like a handcrafted stitch marker in return. I love the markers that people have made themselves. (Here are some generic directions that I've put together for your inspiration.)
Requirements:
The minimum to swap is 4 markers. No offensive beads, please! I prefer metal over plastic and rubber rings, but I will swap for those as well. Specify the needle sizes that the markers can accomodate.

B) For every 1 oz. *or* 150 continuous yards (no knots please!) of yarn you'd like to de-stash, I'll send you 3 stitch markers in return. This should appeal those knitters trying to bust their existing stash.
Requirements:
Pick out a skein of yarn from your stash that you'd like to send me. It must be pest free (no moths or strange insects), clean, relatively odor free, and in good condition. You must state the fiber content, weight, approximate yardage, color(way), and brand name if possible. I'll accept a minimum of 300 yards *or* 2 oz. Hey, I'll even take acrylic, if it's not over 10 years old, not falling apart, and in palatable colors. The skein(s) should be wound into a center-pull ball (by hand or ball winder) to minimize the chances of tangles or knots forming during shipping.

C) For each scented candle I'll give you 4 stitch markers. I love candles, much to my DH's dismay.
Requirements:
The candle must have a minimum burn time of 8 hours (votive sized usually). If the anticipated burn time is greater than 8 hours, I'll send you a marker for every additional two hours of burn time. Scents should be fruity or flowery. No tea lights, gel candles, and nothing too perfumey please!

D) Any other handmade items or crafting gadgets that you'd like to swap away for markers can be negotiated.

Guidelines for swapping with me:
- Participants must have US, Canadian, or APO addresses only please. Exceptions can be made if you can convince me (and yourself of course!) the postage is worth it.
- Although I'll take some artistic license in creating your markers, tell me your favorite color(s) and I'll try to be accomodating.
-Feel free to mix and match item categories to maximize the # of stitch markers you'd like to get.
- Although I like most colors, my personal favorites are blues, greys, purples, and pinks.
- Give me a week or two to get the stitch markers to you and I'll allow you the same courtesy for your swapped items.
- I will be posting a list of participants to keep myself on track.
- I will also post what you will get, and what I've received, on my blog unless otherwise requested.
- I will create a maximum of 12 markers per participant per month, unless I get fewer than 2 participants. If there are 2, or less, participants in a calendar month, the maximum becomes 20 markers per participant per month.

Please note:
- In order to make sure I leave time for my other interests and life in general, I'll only take 4 participants in a calendar month to start with. Doing a set of markers once a week shouldn't be too ambitious, right? Oh wait, that's about 48 markers a month...I think I still should be able to do it at a pace of 2 a day.
- I haven't had any significant problems with the markers I make, but I cannot guarantee that the markers will not snag in your yarn. Use them at your own risk. You can always convert them into nice pendants or earrings if they don't work out for your knitting! =)

Contact me (cjsachikoNOSPAM_at_yahoo_dot_com) if you're interested. [Remove the NOSPAM please.] We'll trade postal addys once we've agreed to swap. I will start taking participants today to gather information. The actual swapping will start on April 1, 2005.

"What's your incentive?"
My first brave participant will receive 4 extra stitch markers just for being *first.* All participants will be entered in a monthly random drawing (to be held the last day of the month), to receive 2 stitch markers for free. I will start the monthly drawing once I've had 8 different people complete swaps with me.

Thanks for considering my little swapping experiment.

Here's a template for conveying the information to me. Just copy/paste to your email and fill-in after the colons.

Contact information
Name:
Email:
Postal Address:

Desired month to swap:
Alternate Desired month to swap:
Color preferences:
Needle size preferences:
Total number of Markers desired (maximum of 12, unless there are less than 2 participants for the desired month):

Category A (Stitch Markers)
Number of markers (4 minimum):
Dominant Color of markers:
Plastic, metal or rubber:
Needle sizes they can fit over:
Picture attached? (yes or no):

Category B (Yarn)
Fiber content:
Weight:
Approximate remaining yardage:
Color or colorway:
Brand name (if known):
Picture attached? (yes or no):

Category C (Candles)
Maximum burn time (minimum 8 hours):
Color:
Scent description:
Shape:
Picture attached? (yes or no):

Category D (Other)
Please provide a description of the item you would like to swap with me:
Picture attached? (yes or no):

Would you prefer to see the markers in an attached picture or publicly on the blog?

(Okay, I'll admit this is a desperate plot to de-stash my bead collection. All the storage trays fill a 10 gallon storage bin! I hope it works. >=) )

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home