Cj's Knitting Basket

A blog for my knitting progress and other life events.

Name:
Location: Silicon Valley, California, United States

Sunday, July 22, 2007

Bags galore

I made a couple bags last weekend and decided to enter them in the contest held by Sew, Mama, Sew.


My first entry is the Day in the Park convertible tote/backpack by Disdressed.

I used some fabric I'd bought last year from Joann's that was mediumweight home decor. It took me a while to cut out all the pieces.



The pattern is written very well and was completed in 3 1/2 evenings of sewing.


Instead of a button closure for the outside pocket, I opted for a zipper, for a more secure pocket. I cut the fabric such that the pattern would flow continuously from the bag body to the pocket. I'm so happy it worked out. :)


I also included several straps on the inside to hold keys and other caribiner held things (like my sock project bag). The stripes are so much fun!


This bag is lovely and is going to be so useful for outings.

Here's the tote configuration:


Here's the backpack configuration:


The rivets make me feel like the straps are going to last forever.



My second and third entries are just a simple drawstring bag and matching zipped pouch. They were for a friend's birthday present. I only used two fat quarters for the fabric (one for the lining, one for the outside). The drawstring bag is large enough for a sock project, and the zipper pouch can hold her knitting notions.


They're just basic pouches that I sized to fit a fat quarter. :)

**Many thanks to Marisa for pointing out the backpack pattern to her readers. :)

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Redheadskydiver said...

I love how the backpack turned out! Awesomeness. I wish my sewing skills were that good!

7/23/2007 4:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your day in the park bag looks fantastic!! You've inspired me to finally put my nose to the grind-stone and start mine :)

7/23/2007 9:08 AM  
Blogger Black Purl said...

Ah, gawd, woman! Is there nothing that you can't do?! Fantastic work. Hope you're well. Cheers!

7/24/2007 3:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home